When Should You Get A Parking Permit For Your Move?

J.S. submitted the following question:

I am moving from Allston to Back Bay. Will I get a ticket if I don’t get a moving permit for either location? I am planning on starting the move around 9am on a Saturday. 

In short, you’re going to want to obtain parking permits for this move. A parking permit will reserve the best possible parking space for the truck on your move, which will reduce the move time. There will be no wasted time searching for a parking spot, which will also reduce the time. Obtaining a permit will also help eliminate the risk of a parking violation, which can be quite costly for a commercial moving truck.

If you’re planning a move in Boston, there’s only a few scenarios where we would not recommend getting a parking permit for the move:

Driveway – if you have your own driveway that can accommodate a large moving truck, no permit will be necessary. Be sure to measure out all three dimensions – a lot of people overlook the height issue, but a low hanging wire or branch can prevent you from parking the moving truck in the driveway.

Parking Lot – If your building has it’s own parking lot, you might not have to get a permit. You should check in with the property manager and find out if you are allowed to park the truck in the lot, and make a reservation if necessary. Some parking lots are not made for a large truck, so be sure to check with the property manager in advance.

Loading Dock – If your building has a loading dock, you should not need a parking permit. In most cases, the loading dock will need to be reserved in advance, so make sure you reach out to a property manager well in advance of the move.

Commercial Loading Zone – In some rare cases, a building will have its own commercial loading zone available to tenants. Find out if this space needs to be reserved in advance so you can decide if you can use that, or if you’d be better off getting a parking permit.

Other than those (somewhat rare) scenarios, we always suggest obtaining a parking permit for your move. If you need help, Big City Moving Co. can help obtain permits for Boston (all neighborhoods), Cambridge, Somerville, & Brookline. There’s also The Permit Guy or Permit Puller, who can be hired to obtain permits in the Greater Boston area as well.

Thank you, J.S., for submitting a question! We appreciate the chance to answer all your moving questions right here on our blog. To submit your own question, click here