For those that work from home managing a business, the move to a new house can create a bit of stress. Often times business owners will misplace an important document or much needed supplies that can hinder continued practices. If you’re selling products from home using an eCommerce site, losing inventory could lose a sale. How do you go about moving your home-based business efficiently allowing you to quickly get back to work once the last box is unpacked?
1. Categorize the Packing – Keep your business functionality separated. This means you don’t want to pack eCommerce inventory items with random stuff. It could make for a confusing search if you sell something you can’t find. Keep the desk items together, files in a separate box and other tools in their own area.
2. Inventory the Boxes – When you begin packing your boxes, create a list of the inventory within each. Even if the item is as small as a pen, you’ll never know what you may need immediately. While some people may write this list onto the box itself, others will put the inventory in a notebook. Either of these methods can be ideal to keep you informed of what you have.
3. Loading the Truck – If your business is still active during the move, you want to load those boxes last. This will allow you to keep them in an area that is easy to get to in the event you need a file, information or product. This will help keep you efficient when moving.
4. Unloading the Truck – Since the business boxes were added last, they should be the first thing to be unloaded. Place these near the door or other inconspicuous place that is easy to get to in the event you need to get into them. You don’t want to bury these boxes under all of the others and/or furniture that you are unloading from the truck.
5. Backing Up Important Files – If you have a home-based business, you may have files that you need access to continuously. Using free backup services such as iDrive, you can synchronize online folders and save those important documents in the Cloud. This means you can have access to those files from your smartphone or tablet without setting up your computer in the event you need them for a client.
6. Office Equipment Completely Separate – Another method of remaining efficient while moving is to transport your home business equipment and supplies prior to the move. You could essentially have your business up and running in the new location before loading personal belongings onto the truck.
7. Addresses – If you use social media or shipping methods for your home-based business, don’t forget to change the addresses of your online and offline accounts. This can make a great difference in your future marketing practices as many tools and information are available to you depending on your location.
While many of these ideas may seem like common knowledge, home based business owners tend to forget the essentials. Whether it is due to the time constraints of a move or the stress of making sure everything is packed up, sometimes things can easily slip the mind. Try to keep focused when it comes to moving your business. You could save yourself lost income if everything is in its proper place.
Ken Myers is a father, husband, and entrepreneur. He has combined his passion for helping families find in-home care with his experience to build a business. Learn more about him by visiting @KenneyMyers on Twitter.