Boston Moving Companies – Parking Permit Required

On moving day it is always ideal to park your moving truck in close proximity to the entry of your home or building. This will save you time, effort, and money. If you live in an area where this location is never available or resident-only parking, it may be a good idea to obtain a street occupancy permit. Areas such as the South End, Back Bay, North End, and Downtown will often require these permits. If you are unsure of whether a permit would be necessary you could check with the building, neighbors, or your property management company. Obtaining the necessary permits can be a hassle at times. Fortunately, Big City Moving Company provides a reliable Parking Permit Acquisition and Posting Service. The cost for this service varies depending on the time of year and how many permits you will need.

If you would like to obtain the permit yourself, please follow the steps listed below:

1.) Before obtaining a permit, the applicant must be bonded with the City of Boston Public Works Department. You are required to present proof of bond at the time of application. Big City Moving Company has a valid Street Permit Bond (# 277825) that we renew each year. If you hire our company to move you, we can send you a letter permitting you to use our bond to obtain your permits free of charge. If you were renting your own moving truck (to move yourself), you would need to purchase a bond from an insurance agent, which can cost $100 or more.

2.) Street Occupancy Permits can only be obtained in person at Boston City Hall at least 48 hours in advance and not by mail or online. The application process can take as long as an hour or more during the busy season. Permits are issued jointly by the Boston Transportation Department (BTD) and the Public Works Department (PWD). You must go to both of these offices (located in Government Center at Boston City Hall, 7th floor) to obtain the permit and the corresponding signage. Application hours are 9am-5pm, Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. Make sure you bring with you the bond letter described in step 1, any parking meter-head numbers at the location, a check or money order (no cash) payable to CITY OF BOSTON for $4/sign (two sign minimum) plus $10/meter/day, and a separate check or money order (or cash) payable to CITY OF BOSTON for $20/space/day.

3.) Once you obtain the “no-parking” signs you will need to post them within the confines of the area to be restricted. They are usually taped to trees, utility-poles, or parking meters in front of the move location.

4.) If you don’t have time in your busy schedule to find parking downtown during business hours, wait in line, and run around posting signs, give Big City Moving a call and we will handle all of this for you. Most customers say the service is well worth the money.

Included for FREE in most moves:

  • Fully Equipped 15 or 24-ft Truck
  • Experienced, Trained Moving Professionals
  • Specialized Equipment to Speed up your Move
  • Free Basic Insurance Coverage ($.60 per pound per article)
  • Disassembly/Reassembly Of Basic Furniture if Necessary
  • No Charge for Stairs and Long Carry
  • Superior Customer Service