Selling your furniture on Craigslist can be a huge help for your move. If you know that you are getting a new bedroom set, for example – you can place an ad for your old set before you move. That way you won’t have to move it more times than it needs to be moved. It will also help you to make a little money for things that you might not need anymore. But what is the best method of selling furniture on Craigslist? Read on and we’ll tell you.
1. Clean The Furniture & Take A Few Photos
Most people will want to have a good, clear picture of something before taking the effort to go see it. Including a couple photos is almost guaranteed to move your furniture off of Craigslist faster. In order for the photo to make a bigger impact, it’s best to clean it first. Make the piece(s) look as good as they can, and then take a few photos.
If there are any scratches, dents, or other blemishes, it’s a good idea to take a detail photo of those to include in the ad. The buyer is going to see them when they check it out, and most people are going to appreciate the honesty and no-surprises, having already seen the condition.
2. Determine A Price
A majority of people who use Craigslist are going to try to negotiate prices. That means you should add a little bit of wiggle room into your price. If you won’t accept less than $250 for an item, price it at $275 or $300 so you have a little buffer to work with.
3. Watch Out For Spammers & Scammers
Unfortunately, one of the biggest drawbacks of Craigslist is that it goes mostly unregulated. For every legitimate response you receive to an ad, you are likely to receive 5 or 10 fakes. It is best to simply not respond to these people at all, as it will reveal your actual email address rather than just the anonymous “dummy” address provided by Craigslist. Here’s some things to watch out for:
• People offering to pay more than you are asking. If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
• People asking you to ship an item. Craigslist is designed to be local pickup or drop off only. You should see the buyer face to face when the sale is in progress.
• Western Union or other money wiring service. You should only accept cash as payment, unless you are willing to trade for a different item.
• Checks. Again – only accept money as payment for any transactions on Craigslist.
4. Contact Movers For Delivery
Once you have your buyer, you may need help moving the furniture to its new home. Many moving companies will offer low priced delivery services. You should find out the cost before hand. Make sure you work it out with the buyer who will be paying. Usually, the buyer winds up paying for the movers, but sometimes it is split.